The harnessing of water power contributed substantially to the development of the Valposchiavo Valley. The power station at Campocologno was the largest high-pressure power plant in Europe when it opened in 1904. It was electric power that enabled the construction of the Bernina Railway. It was conceived as an electric railway from the outset because of its steepness. Today, the dams at Lago Bianco and the power stations at the various elevations at Palü, Cavaglia, Robbia and Campocologno testify to our use of water power.